North Londoners John and Annabel Coleman rented a country cottage near Southwold in Suffolk over the weekend but were shocked to discover an unprecedented flaw in the property’s plumbing system.
Taking a shower early on Saturday morning Mr Coleman decided he would like the water to be a tiny bit warmer and so turned the dial very slightly clockwise. ‘I couldn’t believe it,’ said Mr Coleman. ‘I had been expecting the water to bubble out as if from the spout of a boiling kettle, leaving third degree burns on my face and chest.’
Instead the shower simply increased the temperature by a few degrees. When Mr Coleman turned the dial back down again the water failed to drop to a sub-arctic freezing ice spray.
Emergency plumbers were immediately called out to rectify the situation and the cottage owners offered the couple a full refund. ‘We have no idea how this happened,’ said the owner. ‘The property has now been fitted with a brand new, top-of-the-range shower system. Next time Mr Coleman stands under the shower, he will find that no water comes out whatsoever.’