Historians at the Museum of London say they now think the Great Fire of London was probably started by a faulty tumble dryer and not sparks from an unguarded baker’s oven as previously thought.
Having sifted through documents dating back nearly 500 years say they have discovered an insurance claim filed by the owners of the bakery in Pudding Lane where it is believed the fire started. The claim was made by the baker against Ye Olde Hotpointery Co, known to have been one of the leading suppliers of domestic appliances and white good merchandise to people living in the City of London.
The document also reveals the baker had agreed to extend the warranty on the tumble dryer by an extra three years although judging by the ill written insurance claim, the historians say they doubt the client fully understood the complex terms and conditions laid out in the warranty.
Loss adjusters handling the claim however insisted that there was no way their clients newly delivered domestic appliance could have started the destruction, so it must have been a spark from the baker’s oven.